What is the scam about?
Phishing is a method that cybercriminals use to fraudulently obtain someone’s personal and financial information. It happens when:
- Scammers either impersonate a victim’s contact on social media or have taken over the contact’s social media account.
- These scammers would then approach the victim and claim that they have won a Shopee contest.
- To claim the prize, the victim would be asked to provide a one-time password (OTP) / verification code, contact number and other personal information including credit card details.
- OTPs would then be used to authorise credit / debit card transactions on Shopee.
What are the red flags?
Shopee takes user security and data privacy very seriously. We would never ask you for your personal information.
You should be wary if:
- You were asked to provide OTP, personal information or financial information in order to claim a prize, especially if the other party has not contacted you before / for a long time.
- The other party pressures you to reveal information.
- The messages contain poor spelling and grammatical mistakes.
What can you do to stay safe?
- Never reveal your personal details.
- Mobile number
- Verify the identity of the person contacting you.
- Do not respond to calls and correspondence that informs you of a win without verifying their identity, especially if you have not entered any lucky draws / contests.
- Monitor transactions on your credit / debit card.
- In case of any unauthorised transactions, please reach out to your bank.
What to do if you suspect that your account has been compromised?
If you suspect that your Shopee account has been compromised, please reach out to Shopee at 6206 6610 for further assistance.
[Scam Advisory] How do I deal safely on Shopee?
[Scam Advisory] What is SingPost Scam?